Get the NIE
If you have the nationality of a Member State of the European Union, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway or Switzerland, your are entitled to free movement of persons and residence in Spain.
The students from these countries do not have to fill out any paperwork prior to your arrival in Spain.
If your stay is longer than three months, you need to register in the immigration office to apply for the NIE (identification number for foreigners).
1. Prepare the necessary documentation
* Fill out the application model (Ex-18) (original and copy)
* Valid passport or Identity card (original and copy)
* Enrollment certificate of a study center (original and copy)
* 4 passport photos
* European Sanitary card or private insurance policy covering all risks in Spain throughout the study period (origianal and copy). In case the contract was signed in the country of origin, it is necessary to bring the translation of the private insurance policy.
* You must complete the sworn declaration in which you confirm that you have sufficient funds during your stay in Girona (Modelo). Participation in exchange students program of the European Union.
2. Application (only for those who are registered in Girona (empadronamiento))
Place of submission: Avenida Jaume I 17, 17001 Girona
Hours: Monday to Thursday from 9am to 3 pm Friday 9am to 14pm.
*The students who are enrolled in the register of residents of another city in Spain must submit the application in the Inmigration Departament of their city.